Close Menu

Can adult children be held responsible for parents’ nursing home bills?

Can adult children be held responsible for their parents' nursing home bills?

The astronomical expense of long-term nursing care is no longer news. Costs can run around $7,000.00 or more per month, depending on location. Hundreds of thousands of people presently need that kind of care and the numbers are rising. Ten thousand “baby boomers” a day turn 65, and it’s projected that seven of ten of those people will need long-term care.

By astute planning, McDonald Law Firm reduces or eliminates the impact of such phenomenal costs on many families’ life savings. But many others without the right planning pay and pay until they simply run out of money. The Medicaid program is available to step in and pay, but it is questionable how long that program can continue in its present state. For 2018, Medicaid spending was at $597.4 billion, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Policymakers are looking for other alternatives.

Proposed Option: Requiring Adult Children to Finance Their for Parents’ Medical and Nursing Home Bills

One option is to require adult children to pay for the cost of their parents’ care. This obligation can be imposed through “filial (of or due from a son or daughter) responsibility” laws. Around thirty states, of which Maryland is one, have enacted these laws, some of which even impose criminal fines and imprisonment if an adult child is able, but fails, to pay. For which states have such laws, see the table in this article. 

In Pennsylvania in 2012, a son whose mother owed $93,000 to a nursing home was held liable for her bill under that state’s filial responsibility law. The case is Health Care & Retirement Corp. v. Pittas, available here.

The rationale for such laws is that parents supported children for many years and the children owe a debt of gratitude: they should return the favor when parents grow old and become unable to provide for themselves. Such laws are supposed to motivate children to exert pressure on parents, to ensure that long-term care planning is done before the children are called on to pay.

There are numerous objections to this kind of law. Children may resent being forced to pay and treatment of the elderly may suffer as a result. The laws differ widely across the states and produce inconsistent results. Courts may not have the power to enforce these laws against children who live in disparate states. Filial-responsibility laws provide no protection for seniors who have no children.

Further, federal law currently prohibits nursing homes from demanding payment from funds other than those belonging to the resident – like a child’s money.


Other Alternatives to Help Afford Nursing Care

Other alternatives are more-wisely designed to care for elderly people at home, to delay the need for institutional care for as long as possible. In-home care is estimated to cost one-third the amount of institutional care. Further, personal care can be more suited to the individual if it is given by family and community caregivers. The emotional benefit to the elder can be incalculable.

The need for such programs has been recognized by the Affordable Care Act, which greatly expanded options for states to increase funding for home- and community-based services. Additionally, there are HUD funds available for projects like ECHOs (elder cottage housing opportunity units) – “granny cottages,” small houses for the elderly on a child’s property, to keep family help close by. A 2003 study on the results of that program is available here.

Additional tax deductions and exemptions, like those already allowed in the Medicaid rules, could provide more incentives for at-home improvements like wheelchair ramps and grab-bars. Easing qualifications for long-term care insurance deductions could be encouraged. Family and medical leave from employment could become more available, to relieve the caregiving burden that currently rests disproportionately on women and low-income workers. Subsidies to community elder-care services could be beefed up.

The problem of paying for elder care is multi-faceted and should be tackled on numerous fronts. The options other than filial-responsibility laws seem better-advised to relieve the Medicaid program from the stresses it faces now and into the future.

Experienced Medicaid, Elder Law & Estate Planning Attorneys at McDonald Law Firm are here to help.

In the meantime, an experienced elder-law attorney at McDonald Law Firm is here to help you protect your finances from the burgeoning costs of aging. Give Andre O. McDonald, a knowledgeable Howard County, Montgomery County and District of Columbia estate planning, special-needs planning, veterans pension planning and Medicaid planning attorney a call at, 443-741-1088 (Columbia, MD Office) or 301- 941-7809 (Bethesda, MD Office) to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your particular needs.





Request a Consultation

For help with estate planning, special needs planning, elder law or Veteran's Pension Planning needs throughout Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore County; and Baltimore City, contact McDonald Law Firm, LLC.

McDonald Law Firm, LLC

Columbia Office

10500 Little Patuxent Pkwy, #420
Columbia, MD 21044-3563

Bethesda Office:

(By Appointment Only)

7315 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 800 West
Bethesda, MD 20814

  • Facebook
  • Google Plus
  • linkedin

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from www.mcdonaldesq.com

© 2016 - 2020 McDonald Law Firm, LLC. All rights reserved.