Close Menu

How to Manage Someone Else’s Social Security or Veteran’s Benefits

Tips to help you manage someone else's social security and/or Veteran's benefits

Let’s assume you have been appointed to help manage someone else’s social security benefits. As an example, let’s pretend it’s you forty-year-old nephew, Roberto. In the Social Security system, you’ll be called Roberto’s “representative payee.”

The situation is similar if you’re appointed to help your elderly father, who has dementia, manage his Veteran’s benefit checks. In the Veterans Administration system, you’ll be called a “VA fiduciary.”

How to manage someone else’s social security or Veteran’s benefits

The word “fiduciary” applies in both cases. The law requires you to act to a high standard of good faith and honesty if you manage someone else’s social security or Veteran’s benefits. This means that you must keep careful records, you must not mix the recipient’s money with yours, and you must spend the money for the recipient’s benefit, only.

Free Guide | “Managing Someone Else’s Money: Help for Representative Payees and VA Fiduciaries”

There are other specific rules you must follow for these kinds of benefits. To assist you, the Consumer Financial Protection Board (CFPB) has issued a guide: “Managing Someone Else’s Money: Help for Representative Payees and VA Fiduciaries.” Download your free guide below:

The guide reminds you that the benefits you’ll manage are intended to meet the recipient’s day-to-day needs for food, clothing, and shelter. So, you must spend the money on those needs first. Only after those needs are satisfied may you spend the money on medical and dental expenses, or on what may be thought of as “extras” – home improvement, entertainment, or car payments.

If there is anything left over, you must bank it in an interest-bearing account. The CFPB leaflet provides guidance on how to title the bank account, which you must follow to protect the money from creditors. In all cases, the recipient’s bank account must be separate from yours.

The leaflet further emphasizes the need to document everything you do, as you will be responsible to report annually to the agency in question. The leaflet lists your duties, provides contact information for helpful agencies, and includes advice about what to do if you fear Roberto or your father is being exploited.

The guide is also useful for recipients of other benefits, such as from the Railroad Retirement Administration or other state agencies.

We are here to help.

If you follow the applicable rules,  you will be doing the person who receives benefits a great service. If you have questions or need additional help, please don’t hesitate to contact Andre O. McDonald, a knowledgeable Howard County estate planning, special-needs planning, veterans pension planning and Medicaid planning attorney at (443) 741-1088, to schedule a consultation as soon as possible.


Request a Consultation

For help with estate planning, special needs planning or elder law throughout Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore County; and Baltimore City, contact McDonald Law Firm, LLC.

McDonald Law Firm, LLC

Columbia Office

10500 Little Patuxent Pkwy, #420
Columbia, MD 21044-3563

Bethesda Office:

(By Appointment Only)

7315 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 800 West
Bethesda, MD 20814

Washington, DC Office:

2101 L Street, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, DC 20037

  • Facebook
  • Google Plus
  • linkedin

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from www.mcdonaldesq.com

© 2016 - 2024 McDonald Law Firm, LLC. All rights reserved.